Sunday 12 May 2013

Dark-Village-Dog-Hunt-Night-Ride

Whooohooo.
I'm known as an adventure-seeker.  I love the kick, the special, the unknown and yes, I can see pretty well in the darkness.
And I really love cycling at night...
But this innocent ride I just completed through a silent, almost sleeping Mediterranean village was pretty creepy I must say, even without my fantasy adding double shades to all shadows and expecting dangerous creatures behind every dark bush.
It should have been an innocent bicycle ride through the neighbouring silent village, next to some dark and pretty lost military camp hiding behind the big trees . It's evening and the sky is dark, only street lamps shining here and there and some windows having lights, as well. But the street lights do not function everywhere you'd want them to be. So I cycle, relaxed but carefully with my small little bike front light shining through the dark.
The houses look half-abandoned...the gates and metal fences of the camp are caught in moisty darkness, faraway sounds being heard somewhere. Dead-end streets around me. I turn away from them, making my way through the roads. Silence and occasional cars follow me.
Then: BARKS!!! BARKS!!! They come from both sides of the road , and I speed up as I don't know whether the dogs barking are tied somewhere behind the fences or will rather jump in my way... and I'm only a cyclist, stupidly afraid of dogs...
Cursing at the night attacks, I continue and indeed, a dog jumps in my way. Barking. Following me. My hands shake a little while I curse the dog, speeding up again. Can't it be possible to have a peaceful night ride without shadows, abandoned fences and dogs?!
No, it can't! Cause at the next corner, two beasts decide to catch up on me and follow me increasingly fast and threatening me with their aggressive sounds! I cycle faster and faster - can't be - they've  decided to hunt me! Other dogs around join their calls and I only think of rescue.
After having passed a street corner, I see them stop, and I feel shaky, very shaky, and know for sure - I want out here. And - I hate dogs.
Some other follow up on me during the ride and I decide to make use of the bell or rather shout back and in the worst case, just turn against them and try to ride in their direction, hopefully achieving a surprise effect.
But no extreme measure is needed anymore and I arrive at the exit of the village unharmed.
Conclusion?
Yes baby... That's been a marvellous ride...next time I'll choose either urban paths or daytime...or carry pepper spray with me. For dogs' sake...
Uuh.

No comments:

Post a Comment